Printer in Error State? Here How to Fix Printer Problems on Windows 10
Are you facing the printer error after switching to Windows or facing trouble in printing the documents or you can say that Printer is in an Error State or there is problem in connecting the printer to your system?
The problem with the Printer in Error State can be commonly seen because of the reasons like there is low level of ink or paper, or jamming of the printer , or when the device i.e. printer is not connected properly to the system or etc.
Don’t worry, we can help you in resolving this error Printer in Error State by advising you best possible solutions, so just take a thorough reading to the solutions mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to take proper care of the whole setup between printer and your computer. Make sure that there is no loophole.
- Check the cables and ensure that they are properly connected to the devices and also check the state of cables that they are in proper condition.
- Give a try to another mode of connectivity. Try another USB port or cable or network (either wireless or Bluetooth).
- Check the paper jam, turn off the printer and if there is a paper jam then handle it carefully and remove the paper slowly.
- Refill the ink if there is low level of ink in the printer.
- Turn on the WiFi of the printer if you are using WiFi printer and also turn on the modem router.
Adjust the Device Manager
Press Windows + R, and then type devmgmt.msc and then click ok to open the device manager. A list will be appeared in which all the installed drivers are displayed, then go to the View Menu and then choose “Show hidden devices” option.
Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) heading and then right click the Printer Port option and then select the Properties option.
Open Port settings tab from the Printer Port (LPT1) Properties dialogue box and then click on the “Use any interrupt assigned to the port” option and tick the “Enable legacy Plug and Play detection” option.
Then click the apply option and then ok, after this Restart the windows operating system and then again check whether printer is detected or not, properly working.
Ensure whether Printer Spooler is Working or not
Switch the Printer Spooler service type to Automatic by following the steps:
- Press Windows + R, followed by typing service.msc and pressing the enter key.
- Then Scroll down and then double click the service called print spooler.
- At this point services should have been started and set to Automatic.
- If not then alter the startup type automatic and the service next to the service status need to be started.
- And then moving on to the Recovery tab and altering the first failure to “Restart the service”.
- Select the apply box and check that the printer is online again and it is in working mode.
Clear print Spooler files
Spooler files are needed to be cleared and all the junk files are required to be put out of the system. Restart the spooler service and to clear the spooler files, open the windows service and right click and stop the print spooler service.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers and then delete the data in the printer folder.
- Then open the path C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 and delete the data in the folder.
- And at last restart the spooler service and ensure the working of the printer.
Remove and Reinstall the printer
After all the above suggestions, if still you are facing the same issue of Printer in Error State or Printer is offline then update the printer’s driver or reinstall the printer’s driver on your computer. To complete this procedure, first uninstall the printer driver from device manager.
To Remove/Uninstall the printer
- Disconnect the USB cable attached to the printer and your computer.
- Press Windows + R, then type devmgmt.msc and then press the enter key to open the device manager.
- Go ahead and expand the Printers and Scanners, then select the installed printer driver and then choose the uninstall device option.
- A warning pop-up box will appear “You are about to uninstall this device from your system”. Tick on delete the driver software for this device and then select the Uninstall option to continue.
- Restart your computer system after printer drivers are uninstalled.
To Reinstall the printer
Now download the latest available driver by visiting your printer manufacturer website for your printer model.
Then run the setup.exe after installing the printer driver and after this follow the onscreen instructions given to install the printer.
Install or add a Wireless Printer
Click the Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners. Choose the Add a printer or scanner option. You will see the nearby printers and you can select any one you want and then click on Add device.
Windows will find the printer easily, for this make sure your printer is on. It will display the available printers which mean the printers on the network will be displayed. Network may include Bluetooth or Wireless Printers. For installing the printers, you may need the permission for some printers.
Install or Add a local printer
To add any local printer to your computer, first attach the printer you want to connect to the computer system by plugging the USB Cable to the USB port on your computer system. After connecting it, turn on the printer.
Now go to Settings > Devices > printers and Scanners > Add device. Type the driver path or locate the driver path if asked for it.
Printer offline can also be prevented by installing the updated printer drivers manually in Windows 10.
Contact the Manufacturer
If still after making all the above efforts, you are facing Printer Offline or Printer in Error state, then it is the high time to connect the manufacturer of the device for support. Go to their website, contact them either calling them or mailing them or chatting with them through live chat.