Just like any other computer peripheral, a printer can also go through numerous complications. However, HP has a work-around to fix such issues. They have this amazing tool which is known as HP Print and Scan Doctor. It can solve several problems associated with a malfunctioning driver or general scanning and printing.
Here, we are going to show you how to fix the general problems associated with printing and scanning using HP printers.
Firstly, we would like to share a few errors associated with printers. This will give you a rough idea of which issues do the software fix. They are as follows:
- An error occurred communicating with the scanning device
- An error occurred while communicating with the HP imaging device
- Computer not found
- No Computer Detected
- Scan to computer is currently unavailable
- Scan to computer no longer activated
- Scan Unsuccessful
- The scanner could not be initialized
All the aforesaid issues can be fixed with HP Print and Scan Doctor. You simply have to follow the steps below to start the fixing process of the printer or scanner.
Checking hardware errors
Firstly, before continuing with the HP Print and Scan Doctor, please ensure that the error is not associated with a hardware issue. Please follow the steps below:
- Lift the scanner lid and see if the scanner LED is moving. You may issue a copying task and test the scanning light. Do not expose the LED to bright sources of light.
- Now, lift the printer’s access door and try removing and placing the ink cartridges back to their positions.
- Try to do a print alignment task and check if the device is printing.
- If all the above-mentioned steps fail, then continue to the next task.
Installing HP Print and Scan Doctor software
If the error is not associated with hardware failure, then please follow the steps below to install HP Print & Scan Doctor:
- Download HP Print and Scan Doctor from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor-printing-problems
- Run HPPSdr.exe which you have downloaded in step 1.
- Please do not run any other application during the installation process. When the installation is complete, please restart your PC.
Fixing the Printing or Scanning issues
- Open HP Print and Scan Doctor and select your printer, then click OK.
- If you are unable to find the printer, please restart or switch on your printer to see it on the list.
- If your connection is failing, then follow the instructions in the software to fix the connection issues.
- When the window prompts for updating the printer driver, press Yes and then Continue.
- If you get another popup to select the default printer, click Yes and Continue.
- Your printer will firstly go offline and then become online so that you can continue any printing tasks.
- To fix a printing issue, just click on the Fix printing option.
- The HP Scan Dr will now scan for issues and fix them as per the algorithm. Once complete, it will ask for feedback on whether the printing or scanning issue has been fixed.
Indicators associated with errors or success in solving an issue
The HP Print and Scan Doctor software generates results based on the fixing orders. The following icons will indicate whether the software was able to solve an issue:
A checkmark indicates that the printer is error-free.
A wrench indicates that there is a problem with your printer or scanner.
An exclamation mark indicates that a certain test has failed or was skipped.
An X indicates that the printer has some errors. You need to follow the instructions on the screen to fix the associated errors.
The aforesaid indicators generally help the user to understand, follow and execute the linked commands accordingly. If you are still unable to solve an issue, then you must contact an HP Technician or their incredible support team.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 Is there any HP Print and Scan Doctor software available for Mac?
Yes. There is an HP Print and Scan Doctor software for Mac which can be downloaded from here: https://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib-en/drivers/printers. Please select your printer from the list or allow the browser to search for your printer and detect it automatically.
Q.2 What is HP Scan Doctor?
It is searches for any issue with the scanner and fixes it on the fly.
Q.3 Which models do the HP Print and Scan Doctor support?
The HP Scan Dr software supports all the latest models of HP printers. Please note that you cannot fix a non-HP printer using this software.
Q.4 What does it mean if my printer still can’t be fixed?
Most of the problems can be solved by using HP Scan Dr. If the printer or scanner can’t be fixed, then you have to contact HP Customer Care/HP Support and get your printer repaired by their technician.